Thursday, June 07, 2007

Returning to UK - June 6 2007

Writing this at Changi International Airport waiting for my flight back to the UK. It have been two and a half months since I left my home in Welwyn Garden City. Much has happened during this stay in Singapore.

Singapore is the same. Read my previous postings if one is interested to find out my feelings about this tiny red dot. Enough said. Much have happened over the last two and a half months. We traveled twice to Kuala Lumpur, once to meet up with my brother before he left for the UK to sort out accommodation for his daughter’s university education later in the year. The next trip to Kuala Lumpur was for the reunion of the Class of 1962. A few trips to Johor Baru during these last two and a half months for shopping and renewal of visa, a few days in Ho Chi MInh and I am on my way home in Welwyn Garden City.

The last two and a half months have also brought some sadness into my life. I lost my second aunt in Singapore. After a long illness she finally gave up the fight. My yoiungest brother who is only 54 years old has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease. Peng Yan my nephew is currently being treated for leukemia. My neighbour in Welwyn Garden City died suddenly. I was not there to say my final farewell. Life is fragile and unpredictable. Just confirms my belief that we must never take things for granted. While we are here on this earth we must always bear in mind that we are all here on a very temporary basis and whenever we can we must make sure that we have compassion and understanding. Kindness to others always leaves me with a good feeling inside. I am determined to better myself during the time I have left on this earth. I would like to make a difference, albeit in a very small way.

No comments: