Saturday, February 02, 2008

Car Problem

Since returning to the UK we have not been using the car. No, we have not gone so green that we have locked the car away. For the last 10 days since our return we have had to arrange for the car insurance scheduled for MOT and then finally register for road tax. The MOT was done on the last day of January. Thankfully that went OK and happily we went out today, the first day of February to register for road tax. However, as soon as I started the engine the warning light came on telling me that there is a fault with the alternator. Drove to the nearest Mercedes Benz garage and after a long check-up they told me that a replacement alternator was needed. What are the alternatives? None !! The repair cost is estimated to be at least GBP286, maybe more. I guess that is the penalty I have to face for driving around in a MB.

So it has been an expensive month with the car. Insurance, road tax, MOT and now the repair bill will all add up to nearly GBP1000. If I have to change my vehicle, my next one will definitely not be a Mercedes. They are too expensive to maintain and the fuel consumption is not that great either. However, having said all that it is a very comfortable machine and a pleasure to drive. Hope to get the repair done by tomorrow morning. We have to be in Cobham for lunch with our grand daughter tomorrow.

We planned to do a little shopping at the Chinese grocery store today, but I guess that will have to be postponed to another day. Got to get the necessary stuff for the Chinese New Year steamboat dinner, most probably on Sunday 10.

This new Chinese year is the year of the Rat. Lets hope it will be a good year for all of us, with lots of Happiness, Good Health and most important of all, Peace and Love.

No comments: