Friday, December 23, 2005

City of Shanghai

Have just returned from a week in Shanghai. I have never been to China before and as this was my first visit, I came away with mixed feelings about the country. I am assuming that Shanghai is a typical large Chinese city and all other major cities are somewhat similar to Shanghai.

Shanghai is a very fast moving place. The roads are wide and well planned, although there are far too many vehicles on the road. I guess this is an indication that the economy is very buoyant and people are getting more accustomed to driving cars than the old mode of transportation – the bicycle. If fact, I had noticed there were very few cyclists on the road, maybe it is now too dangerous for peddle power.

The buildings in Shanghai are tall and bright. At night most building are well lit and looking at the city from the TV tower gives one an true understanding of the sheer size of the whole of Shanghai.

Shanghai is famous for shopping. In certain areas one can buy the best branded genuine goods at exorbitant prices. In another area, you would also find branded goods but at a tenth of the price of their genuine cousins. These are fakes good, but so well made that it would be difficult to tell them apart. Well, the markets with fake good are generally crowded with tourists and bargain hunters from all round the globe. I guess people will always opt for the fake goods as they are so cheap.

Food is good, provided one knows where to go. The fast food joints are always full to the brim with problems find seats during meal times. Eating in Shanghai is not as cheap as Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur. The quality of the food is not great but passable. I guess one has to get used to the local cuisine.

As with most cities around the world, high traffic volume always result in poor air quality. The air is Shanghai was very still during the week I was there and that resulted in a very dense haze. Looking down from the TV tower, one would notice a blanket of haze over the city.

Although the country is boasting GDP in double figures, there are still many beggars in Shanghai. Women carry babies beg openly in the streets. Side by side with the wealthy, are these poor wretched people who have the resort to beg for a living. I visited a nearby village and village life is still very backward and simple. I wonder if these simple folks realized what is happening to their country.

Another unattractive habit of the Chinese is spitting. They spit everywhere. It made me feel very uncomfortable. I am not sure if this happens throughout the whole of China or just in Shanghai. I suspect it is the former. Would the Chinese Government do something about this before the Olympics in 2008? I wonder.

It was a good and enjoyable trip and I would definitely return for another visit.

No comments: