Saturday, June 17, 2006

Singapore - here I come

Today we leave UK for Singapore. I am sad because I will not have the BBC and ITV television channels to watch the remaining World Cup matches. Back in Singapore some of the matches will be played at some ungodly hours of the morning. Well, lets hope England gets far enough to warrant me either paying for a sport cable channel or just have to go to some clubs to watch the matches.

Another regret I have for leaving UK at this time of the year is the weather. I am leaving the glorious sunshine with temperature at a comfortable 25 deg C average to go to a place with temperature of around 34 deg C. The Singapore humidity is the killer. I just hate venturing out of the house because I get soaked in sweat all day long. After a few trips to Singapore the initial excitement has worn off and I do not look forward to my trip to this clinically clean island. Don’t get me wrong, I do not dislike my trips back to Singapore. In fact I quite like it here, now that I have got used to the weather and the Singaporeans. Having lived in UK for the past 40 years I have a great respect for the system here. Here in Singapore everything works. If one abides by the rules and obey the law, you can be sure that you will get things done. Another great thing about this island state is that one feels safe day or night and in whatever part of the island you are in. There are no such places as no-go areas. There are no groups of threatening teenagers or gangs. There is hardly any graffiti, minimum litter on the streets and everywhere you go you will find people sweeping after you. The country runs like a well oiled machine and the Singaporeans are almost robotic going about in their daily quest for money and assets. One word of advice though, be very careful what you say in public, especially where politics are concerned. Another thing, if you drive in Singapore, forget about courtesy.

Got to pack and leave for Heathrow.

Continue later……

No comments: