Monday, July 31, 2006

Johor Baru - Malaysia

Just returned from a day trip to one of my favorite places - Johor Baru or JB to the locals. It is just over the causeway from Singapore. Visited our place in Saleng about 30 Km north of JB, which is about 3 Km from Senai Airport. As usual there were a few utility bills to pay and after that we proceeded to Giant Superstore for our shopping. The place was packed as it was a public holiday in Malaysia. The two things the Malaysians like best are to eat and shop. There were children everywhere. Finally all the shopping was done and paid for. The whole lot of shopping only came to RM345 ( approx. 50 GBP ).

We then proceeded to Holiday Inn Plaza another shopping complex. Here we visited out opthalmetrist who fitted a set of new lenses to my broken sunglasses. Dianne my wife had her eyes tested had a new pair of reading glasses prescribed. Total bill came RM100. I bought a few hooky DVD from here at RM6 a piece. Due to the clamp down on pirated DVD, transactions of such DVD had to be behind closed doors. I am glad to see that the price of prirated DVDs have come down due to lesser demand.

At 2 pm we went to Jusco shopping mall at Terbau. Dianne had her hair washed and cut and I just walked around soaking in as much of Malaysia as possible before I had to return to Singapore. Had a drink at my usual Starbucks and at 7.00 pm we returned to Singapore.

It was a good day out of Singapore and I am now in possession of a 2 week Singaporean visa which will allow me to stay here until I leave for London on August 10. Looking forward to leaving Singapore.

No comments: