Friday, January 26, 2007

Disappointment in Johor Baru

My wife says I am too sentimental. I am now retired and having lived in a foreign land for the last 40 years I have returned to Singapore/Malaysia, well at least to live here 50% of my time. Now that I am back, I have decided to seek out my old school friends for renewing old friendship and maybe remember a little of the old days. My trip to Kuala Lumpur before Christmas was a fruitful and enjoyable experience. On that trip I managed to meet up with four school friends including a very good pal and his charming wife. It was quite an experience. Good food and fine company certainly go a long way to making it a happy night out. That night the group parted with promises to stay in touch. Life during retirement would be better and happier when old friends can get together from time to time to chat and exchange life experiences.

However, my attempts to establish contact with old friends in Johor Baru have so far been unsuccessful. I have twice traveled to Johor Baru hoping to meet up with old school friends there, but twice I have been disappointed. Maybe my wife Dianne is right. I must not expect others to have my enthusiasm to reconnect with old acquaintances. Others may look at life differently and may have other priorities. I shall let the old friends of Johor Baru take the initiative for our reunion, if there ever was going to be one. If not, then I shall have to be satisfied that at least I have succeeded in Kuala Lumpur.

I am looking forward to my next trip to Kuala Lumpur next month. Another dinner with fine friends and renewal of old friendship.

No comments: