Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Reflection

At this time of the year, just after my birthday I usually like to spend a few moments to ponder and sort of plan for the next 12 months ahead. Reflecting on the 12 months that have just gone by, I try to analyze all the major events in this period.

These are the list of questions that come to mind,

Has it been a good year?

On the personal travel front, the answer is yes. It has been a very enjoyable year. Apart from flying between the UK and Singapore we have visited a few places. This time last year we were in Marbella and Tangier. In June 2007 we visited Ho Chi Minh City. We made numerous visits to JB and Kuala Lumpur for shopping and meeting old friends. Our last visit to KL was for a reunion dinner for the Class of ’62. Meeting friends I had not seen for 45 years was quite a nostalgic experience. However, shortly after the reunion we lost a dear friend to cancer. That was a low point of the year. The only consolation was we manage to get together before she left us. It just shows that life can be very unpredictable and fragile.

There are ups and downs when it comes to the family. New arrivals into the family mark the good occasions. I have another 2 new nephews. Our grand daughter has turned 3 and developing into such a loveable young lady. On a sadder note I have lost another aunt. One of my brothers has been told he has a dreadful disease and one of my nephews has leukemia. Thankfully they are both progressing well and I pray for their full recovery.

As one gets older time becomes very precious. I am glad I took early retirement and have the freedom to travel, indulge in my hobbies and most importantly to re-connect with my relatives and siblings. I have managed to visit Segamat twice last year. I must try to visit more often. Relationship with siblings tends to become stale over the year. Coping with our respective families, bringing up our children and generally fulfilling the many parental responsibilities has somewhat made us overlook the importance of staying in touch with loved ones.

During the past year I have managed to become closer with a few siblings. We now write to each other regularly and whenever time permits I will visit more often. My boys are all young men now, each with their own chosen path. I love them all dearly but I am determined not to intrude on their lives and if they wish to be in touch with me, I will gladly reciprocate. I believe they know best in what they have chosen for themselves. I must never interfere unless asked.

What is in store in the 12 months ahead? I can only hope that there will be much happiness. I am sure there will be disappointment along the way, but I can only hope that those will be few and far between. As I said, time is precious and everyday that goes by is a day less for love and goodwill. On my part I will try to be sincere, compassionate and above all understanding and forgiving.

No comments: