Saturday, November 03, 2007

Trip to Segamat

It was exciting driving to Segamat on November 1. Started the journey at 6.30 am and we were in Segamat by 9.30 am. Driving into Segamat gave me a feeling of coming home again, especially after a month living in Singapore. Segamat gives me a sense of belonging. Although having been away from this little sleepy town for 41 years, I still consider this place my home. Each time I return I get this thrill and nostalgia. Memories of bygone days come floating back. Each street corner, the playfields infront of the old school, the old buildings in the old part of town, all bring back fond memories. They all look so small!

A wander into the wet market brings back memories of the days when grandfather and I would go each morning to buy my fish for lunch. The old coffee shop where one gets fresh toasts spread lavishly with butter and kaya ( coconut jam ) still stand at the corner of the market. The stone steps leading up to the coffe shop and the five-foot way in front are exactly the same as when I left it many years ago. Life on the whole in Segamat has not changed much over the few decades I have been away. I hope it will never change, because I would like to return often to this little town and get this same feeling of nostalgia and the feeling that I have come a full circle and home again.

The family are all well. First mother, 94 on her next birthday is still very alert and independent. Long may she remain so. We spent a good few hours chatting to her and her only complaint was that we did not inform her of our visit before we arrived. She would have gone to the trouble of preparing carrot cakes for us. I love her carrot cakes, but thought I should not put her through all the work.

The night we spent in Segamat we had a family dinner at one of the many restaurants in the new part of town. The food was good and cheap compared to Singapore where one would have to pay at least 3 times for the same dinner. We had a good time, good food amongst good company.

The next morning Phyl my cousin invited us for breakfast at a local Indian restaurant. We had roti pratas and curry. It was delicious and again brought back lovely memories of long ago breakfasts. After breakfast, we said goodbyes and started on our journey back to Singapore. Heavy was my heart as I drove out of the town. I said a fond farewell to my beloved place of birth, promising I will return again soon.

No comments: